Thursday, June 11, 2009

Google Maps Part II

I very much enjoyed street view. Although I can read maps, I don't just "know" my directions, so actually seeing a street and knowing what it looks like and what to expect is a big help.
The idea of putting in images (from Mikael's tutorial) also appealed to me. Just because it's a map doesn't mean that an image can't be a part of it. Lot's of people use landmarks to find places (especially if they're directionally challenged like me), so an image of the building or of a piece of sculpture (like the Notebook on the University of Nebraska campus) would be a big help. It also helps to advertise the place.
Although Google Maps is about real places I think that in the library, it would be fun for young people ( and even some not so young) to create a map of an imaginary place. I read a lot of mysteries and I just LOVE the ones that provide a map of the murder room. It really helps me to visualize what happened and of course, it's essential for a locked room mystery. (Fantasies always have maps; they're really on to something as far as I'm concerned.) So maybe some enterprising patrons could create maps for those mysteries deficient in maps and post them (in ChiliFresh, for example) with their comments on the book. What a find for other patrons. Okay, so I'm quite a distance from Google Maps now, but aren't brainstorming and tangential ideas some of the outcomes of a learning experience?

1 comment:

Allana said...

I really like the idea of mapping books. That could be a lot of fun!

I wonder if a library could create an “online display” of books based on the physical location in which the book is set. For example map mystery books that the library owns that take place in Nebraska. In each map marker you could add a direct link to that item in the catalog. You could change it up depending on what part of your collection you’d like to highlight. Would patrons enjoy that?